29 November 2013

QUESTION: Comparative Law and Film (A Cry for Help)

Sometime last year, I was asked to put together a list of films involving law. The list I prepared (below) was specifically limited to English-language films and is probably a bit old-fashioned and predictable. So am I. 

I can already see, too, that I missed some obvious titles (Eveline, Judgment at Nuremburg, etc).

I've wanted, however, to use film in teaching comparative law, legal history, and legal philosophy, among other classes, for a long time. I've hoped to give students some small insight in how things are done outside of the time/space with which they're familiar. 

I wonder if anyone out there is willing to help me? I'd be grateful for suggestions. 

For practical purposes here, recommendations should be available either dubbed or subtitled in English. The films could revolve around law (eg, a famous constitutional development) or law-like norms (eg, other types of social regulation in the past or present). 

Fiction and non-fiction, cinema and television, dramas and comedies, Laurel and Hardy, etc are all welcome.


- SPD (sean.donlan@ul.ie)

PS I should also ask about Comparative Law and Literature ...

[PLEASE CHECK AND ADD TO THE COMMENTS.]

*
  1. Adam’s Rib
  2. A Few Good Men
  3. Anatomy of a Murder
  4. And Justice for All
  5. Beckett
  6. Breaker Morant
  7. The Caine Mutiny
  8. Dead Man Walking
  9. Gideon’s Trumpet
  10. The Gods Must Be Crazy
  11. In Cold Blood
  12. Inherit the Wind
  13. The Insider
  14. Let Him Have It
  15. A Man for All Seasons
  16. The Ox-Bow Incident
  17. The Paper Chase
  18. A Place in the Sun
  19. Presumed Innocent
  20. The Star Chamber
  21. The Trial
  22. The Verdict
  23. The Winslow Boy
  24. Witness for the Prosecution
  25. The Wrong Man

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I should note that the list I prepared was in response to an email that already included To Kill a Mockingbird and Twelve Angry Men. Both of these films have been brought to my attention.

Indeed, one of our bloggers (Erin) immediately thought of the following:

12 Angry Men
My Cousin Vinnie
The Firm
Philadelphia
Erin Brokovich
A Class Action
The Runaway Jury
To Kill a Mockingbird
Kramer v Kramer

In addition to mentioning Twelve Angry Men, our friend Andrea Ortolani provided links to his blog (in Italian) for Japanese films on Japanese law (http://dirittogiapponese.wordpress.com/2011/12/24/diritto-legge-e-giustizia-al-cinema/and http://dirittogiapponese.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/diritto-legge-e-giustizia-al-cinema-pena-di-morte-edition/).

You should check out the blog: http://dirittogiapponese.wordpress.com/. He's also on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ortospace.

Unknown said...

U.S.A.:

Find me guilty
Norimberga
Primal Fear
JFK

Spain:

Salvator (Puig Antig)

Italy

Matrimonio all'italiana
Divorzio all'italiana
la ragazza di Bube
Romanzo di una strage
Il sorteggio
Many about Paolo Borsellino and Giovanni Falcone

Unknown said...

U.sa
A time to kill

German
Die Weiße Rose

Unknown said...

Sorry the last one is

Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage

Unknown said...

Italy:

Mi faccia causa

Unknown said...

La seconda volta non si scorda mai http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPToMqll5IA

Il camorrista
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EIx9c3us

I 57 giorni di borsellino