17 June 2014
CONFERENCE: Law and Language: Legislative Drafting and Translation
27 June 2014, 11:00 - 17:00
Professor Silvia Ferreri; Professor Maurizio Gotti; Manuela Guggeis; Andrè Michelle Labelle; Dr Giulia Adriana Pennisi; William Robinson; Ingemar Strandvik; Professor Thomas Glyn Watkin; Professor Helen Xanthaki.
Organised by: Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
This conference will look at the following aspects of legislative drafting and translation:
Multilingual Legal Systems: Challenges and benefits for legal systems which operate in more than one language.
• Chair: Hayley Rogers, Office of Parliamentary Counsel
• Professor Thomas Glyn Watkin, University of Cardiff Law School
• André-Michel Labelle, International Court of Justice
Translation and EU Texts: The EU institutions function in 24 languages but to some extent English serves as a lingua franca. Is EU English a separate variety of English?
• Chair: Jonathan Teasdale, Sir William Dale Fellow, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
• William Robinson, Associate Research Fellow, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
• Ingemar Strandvik, European Commission Translation Directorate-General
• Manuela Guggeis, Legal Service of the Council of the European Union
Legal Translation and Language: Linguistic and textual features of special-purpose texts and their function in specialized translation.
• Jules Winterton, Director, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
• Professor Maurizio Gotti, University of Bergamo
• Professor Silvia Ferreri, University of Turin
• Professor Helen Xanthaki, Academic Director, Sir William Dale Centre, Institute of Advanced
• Dr Giulia Adriana Pennisi, University of Palermo, Associate Research Fellow, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies.
To book and pay the registration fee using the online payments system, please click here.
Fees: Full Rate: £75.00. Student Rate: £45.00.
• Statute Law and Legislative Drafting
Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
Charles Clore House
17 Russell Square