8 DOCTORAL STUDENT POSITIONS
Law in a Changing World (LCW) includes all the sub-disciplines of law. Each doctoral student will be acquainted with the Europeanization and internationalization of law, but the research conducted does not have to connect to these themes. The student must register in one of the participating Finnish universities to carry out the doctoral studies.
The appointed candidates will focus on completing a doctoral thesis in the field of legal studies. They will participate in the training and other activities organized by the LCW programme. The tasks of doctoral students will include a limited amount teaching and administrative work. Also affiliated self-funded researchers may be accepted to participate in the LCW programme.
A suitable master´s degree in law or a neighboring discipline is required. The student must show the ability and motivation for postgraduate studies and for completing the doctoral degree according to the research plan.
The application must include the following information and appendices:
- a cover letter (max 2 pages), which sheds light on the applicant's motivation to conduct doctoral research and to complete a doctoral degree; the sub-discipline of the research should be indicated (e.g. public law, IP law, criminal law)
- a research proposal for a doctoral thesis (max 6 pages)
- an individual study plan for the degree built on participation in the LCW programme (max 4 pages)
- a Curriculum vitae and list of possible publications (or an academic portfolio including these documents)
- copies of degree certificates
- possible written assessments concerning Master´s dissertations
- a possible statement from the proposed supervisor and other possible references (eventual supervisor must be contacted beforehand)
- relevant documents indicating proficiency and skills in English (TOEFL test or equivalent)
- information on possible previous funding
The applications shall be addressed to the LCW doctoral programme and sent in 4 copies with appendices to: Registry and Records Management, Yliopistonkatu 4 (P.O. Box 33), 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland. The applications may be written in Finnish, English or Swedish. The closing date for applications is Wednesday, 15 February 2012, 3.45pm (GMT +2), when all the documents must be received by the University's Registry.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed. Final decisions will be made in April. Unsuccessful applicants may be admitted as affiliated researchers to the LCW programme. Affiliated researchers follow the same programme but will not be funded through a work contract.
Further details of the LCW programme can be found at www.helsinki.fi/omm/english/. For further information, please contact Director of the doctoral programme, Prof Kimmo Nuotio (kimmo.nuotio[at]helsinki.fi), or Coordinator, post-doctoral researcher, Dr Ida Koivisto (ida.koivisto[at]helsinki.fi), tel. +358 9 19123538.